Friday, January 11, 2013

Writers block....



I have lyrics with no melodies and melodies that have no meaning.  Missed you by a moment and now I'm missing you for miles.  A country(ish) love song about two people who fell in love while dancing a waltz at a wedding.  When the song ends, the lovers part and now they realize that their lives were on two separate waves that intersected for one day, one dance, one moment, and now they are getting further and further apart.  This is how I write.  I know the story.  I can see it in my head.  I can see the country summer night.  The moist skin.  The wooden outdoor dance floor with light bulbs strung overhead.  I can see the lovers dance.  Getting closer and closer together. Him breathing on her neck.  Her settling into his arms and then, the song ends. Moment's over.  They drift apart as they cling to each other's finger tips and then they too part as she walk off the dance floor and into the blue night.  Gets in a car and drives away.  I can see it, but I can't write it.  I can't feel the emotion. Their emotion.  Not now anyhow.  It's too bad as I think it would've been a great song. Other song ideas that I have written recently - Serendipity Rose, Bay Dreamer - are almost done.  Bay Dreamer is one of my favorite songs that I've ever written.  It's fun to sing, play, and hopefully you'll enjoy it (Oui recently posted it on our reverbnation account - Click on the link to the right).  Serendipity Rose (Brown) or SRB is a song that I've wrestled with for six years now.  Then, one day I sat down and wrote it.  It only took about 15 minutes from start to finish.  I still have to work on the melody with Dan and then hopefully we'll be able to post it here in the next couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment